FAQs for Ajilon Employed Consultants

The Covid-19 situation is changing rapidly and we will be making regular updates to these pages so please check back regularly for the latest.

Questions relating to health and wellbeing

What is the best advice if we think we have the symptoms of Covid-19 (coronavirus) (e.g. a high temperature and/or new, continuous cough) or have had close contact with someone who has?

England – contact the NHS here
Northern Ireland – contact HSC Public Health Agency here
Republic of Ireland – use the HSE service here who will put you in contact with your local Department of Public Health staff to give you information and advice.
Scotland – use the NHS Inform service here
Wales – use the NHS Direct service here

In all cases use the online or telephone services and do not visit your doctor.

I am feeling worried about COVID-19 and my personal situation, is there any mental health support available?

Mental Health support for all Adecco Group associate workforce is available via able-futures. You can apply online or call 0800 321 3137 to get advice and guidance from a mental health specialist.

Questions relating to sick pay

What evidence do we require for self-certification due to COVID-19 / coronavirus or self-isolation?

If UK employees are off work for 7 days or less due to illness or upon having been explicitly advised to self-isolate by the NHS due to COVID-19 symptoms, they do not need to give their employer a fit note or other proof of sickness from a medical professional. The worker can self-certify for absences of 7 days or less, by completing a self-certification form or by confirming the same level of detail in an email to their consultant, where that email is clear that it has come from the employed worker. All communications are treated in the strictest confidence.

From Friday 20 March onwards, those who have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate will be able to obtain an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a “fit note” after seven days of sickness absence. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.

Will I still get paid if I self-isolate?

In the UK, if Government advice is that you should self-isolate, then you will be entitled to Sick Pay in line with your contract. If you have merely chosen to self-isolate then, as per your contract, you will not automatically be entitled to be paid. Choosing to self-isolate beyond what is medically required is treated as a voluntary matter and we would not normally pay employed consultants in such circumstances.

Questions relating to other working matters

Can I work from home?

Wherever possible we are encouraging our clients to allow all employed consultants to work from home, including the employed consultants we supply. However the final determination of whether or not working from home is possible will depend on the nature of the work.

If I work from home will I still be paid normally?

Yes. Where the expected work is performed, either by working from home or at the client site, then the normal contractual terms apply.     

Am I eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme 80% pay initiative if there is an enforced furlough by my place of work?

If the client for whom you are working indicates they need to close or reduce operations, but that there is a likelihood the position would be open for you to return to, then we may be able to make use of the Job Retention Scheme.  Details would be made available to you in the event this applies and as the government guidance becomes clearer. We are currently awaiting detailed guidance following the Government’s announcement on Friday 20 March 2020 and will update further on this point as soon as we are able to.

If I care for a child whose school has closed will I still get paid?

As a worker, you would not normally be entitled to be paid if you’re not working. However, we are encouraging all our clients to facilitate alternative arrangements wherever possible which will allow employed consultants to continue to work and be paid.

The client at which I’m based still needs me to come into work either because they see me as being a key worker or else because working from home is not possible. What are my rights if I do not feel comfortable going to work?

Whether working from home is possible or if a role is a key worker is for the client whose work is being done to determine. In line with UK and Republic of Ireland Government advice we are encouraging clients to allow working from home if at all possible.

Choosing to self-isolate beyond what is medically required is treated as a voluntary matter and we would not pay employed consultants in such circumstances.


If you require further guidance or assistance please email us at: UKIcandidates@adeccogroup.com or call our hotline on 01782 358470.